Thursday, September 15, 2005

Oh Boy Oberto!!

My wife, Practical Pat, brought home a treat today. It was a new product, Oberto Beef Jerky Crisps. Advertised as "high in protein" with 13 grams per 30 g serving. They are made by Oberto Sausage Company in Seattle, WA. That gave me a little pause - remember the old saying, "There are two things you don't want to see made - legislation and sausage". But guess what else hails from Seattle? You got it - STARBUCKS!!! So I thought I'd give them a try. First of all, there were only about 6 or 7 chips in the whole bag. Is it cost effective to package something that small? Well, they weren't the freshest thing I've ever eaten (but I eat year old hard tacks, so what's the big deal?) but I kept munching nonetheless. Scary thing happened. I almost didn't notice the hygroscopic packet in the bottom of the bag. It was about the size of the chips and by tactile perception alone (I was feeling, not looking at what I was eating) it seemed like just another chip. Luckily, I saw the striking difference in color just before cramming it in my mouth. It was labeled O2-Zero. Do Not Eat with a "Thou shalt not" international symbol (circle with a 2 to 8 diagonal). I quickly withdrew the "chip" and was saved another disgusting food experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home