Friday, August 19, 2005

Ice cream surfeit

For Robert: This story only points up my propensity for overdoing things when it comes to eating. Why can I not learn to eat in moderation? It happened one summer in Calico Rock, Arkansas. I had spent a long day of reading x-rays and was ready for the 50 mile drive home. Since I had an hour's drive before supper/dinner, I decided a snack to tide me over would be appropriate. Accordingly, I stopped at the local dairy bar for an ice cream cone. "Make that a double", I said. Man, it was cold - and good! By the time I reached the outskirts of Mt. View, the cone was only a dim memory. I spotted the Good Old Days (another ice cream place) and decided one more wouldn't matter. "Make that a double", I said. Mt. View is a small town, but I devoured the second cone while driving across town. On the outskirts of town, there is another "dairy bar". Should I, or shouldn't I?? My reasoning, clouded by a rising blood sugar, was no deterrent, so I went for #3. It went down about as fast as the first two. Now I was on an ice cream binge like never before. Like a true "creamaholic" I began wondering where the next dairy bar was located. Fortunately, it was in Locust Grove - about 25 minutes away. I got another double and consumed it before reaching the Batesville city limits. By now I was starting to feel really full. Dreading the lecture I would get upon arriving home, I threw all caution to the wind and hit the Batesville Dairy Queen on the fly. My double at DQ was my last, although I did pass Tommy's King Burger, another burgers and shakes joint, on the final drive home. Needless to say, I was so full of ice cream I was nauseated. Surfeited in the true sense of the word. I don't remember much about my punishment. It was more like, "Why are you not hungry?" And when I told Miss Pat what I had done, she just rolled her eyes and muttered something under her breath. Sorry for the lengthy post. Almost out of food stories. cmmjr

4 Comments:

Blogger Troy said...

Sounds you needed a dairy intervention. But what better way to cross the Ozarks than with ice cream in hand.

7:31 PM  
Blogger danarv said...

This is my favorite story thus far!
I swear I am the same way, but mostly with homemade ice cream.

I love all of your stories :)

5:48 PM  
Blogger juliebelle said...

i think there are more stories...what about the "who poured the cereal and left it?"

1:36 PM  
Blogger sirrom said...

Julie: Can't remember the "Who poured the cereal and left it?" story. Must have been a "waste not, want not" lesson.

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home