Tuesday, August 23, 2005

FUDGE NO MAS

Don't know if that's even a proper phrase, but No mas was uttered by a middleweight fighter (can't remember the name) when he was unable to answer the bell in a championship fight. Nada mas might be more correct, but that's what he said. I think it means no more, nothing else, etc. Well, the reason I want no more fudge is because I made myself very sick on fudge topping. As you can tell from previous posts, I tend to overdo it when it comes to food. Especially items I like. About 10 years ago I had taken a call from the hospital. While passing through the kitchen on the way back to bed I was struck by an enormous hunger pang. Remedy. Look in the fridge. Not too promising at first, but then I spotted a large bowl of fudge topping. It was a large Pyrex bowl and there was at least 3-4 inches remaining in the bottom. I grabbed a large serving spoon and helped myself. Not bad. I started toward the bedroom, but a strong force of some sort pulled me back to the fridge. This time I got a bowl and filled it about half full. By the time I finished the bowl, I had reached a state of mind that pushed me onward and upward. The feeding frenzy had begun. No muses, no weird sounds or other distractions - just a big bowl of topping begging to be eaten. There was no turning back. I sat down with a spoon and in a matter of minutes devoured the entire bowl!! The rest of the story is more painful to recount. About 30 minutes after I returned to bed, I was awakened by an intense urge to get to the john. At about the same time I began having intense leg cramps. They were so intense that my heels were drawn up to my buttocks. The pain accompanying the cramps caused me to break out in a sweat. So there I was - sweating, cramping, stomach rolling with peristaltic waves and needing to be someplace really bad, and unable to stand because of hamstring spasms. I did the only thing I could - I rolled out of bed onto the floor and CRAWLED to the bathroom. I was there a long time. Why did I do it? "Why can't you do things in moderation?" I wondered, etc. etc. I really did learn my lesson and it is FUDGE NO MAS - FUDGE NO MAS - FUDGE NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMASSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

4 Comments:

Blogger sirrom said...

Addendum: The middleweight boxer was Roberto Duran. He lost to Sugar Ray Leonard. Odd coincidence -- in the 8th round he began having severe stomach cramps and couldn't answer the bell. Threw up his hands and said, "No mas."

5:16 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

Had they looked, they probably would have found a bowl with traces of fudge topping in his locker room.

7:12 AM  
Blogger wiebke said...

Oh, Dr. McClain, how I have enjoyed all these food posts! I never knew all these things about you! I truly love your stories...they make me laugh out loud. Please keep writing!!!
Love,
"the other sister"

8:31 PM  
Blogger rebstar said...

i'm just now (sept 3) getting to catch up on all these posts, and they're incredible!!

i've been laughing aloud--very LOUDLY--as i can just picture these things happening.

they're so great! you're such an amazing story teller; your stories truly could be compiled into a best seller!! :) :) :)

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home