Saturday, October 29, 2005

Nova Scotia revisited

More vacation stories. A few years ago we went to Halifax, Nova Scotia where I attended a radiology meeting. The entire family came along. Getting there was a challenge - tight connection at O'Hare but breathlessly made the flight to Bar Harbor, Maine. Crossed the Bay of Fundy by boat to Nova Scotia. Rented a van and drove to Halifax. Peggy's Cove was breathtaking. Since this was an "economy vacation" we stayed at TUNS (Technical University of Nova Scotia). All seven of us were in dorm rooms with a public shower. Sounds crazy, but one of our chief forms of entertainment was solitaire. We had several decks of cards and would play for hours. One of the funniest incidents took place in the cafeteria. A maintenance man was there every morning for breakfast. One of his favorite expressions was, "Well, cut my legs off and call me shorty!" David, armed with his best Arkansas accent asked the waitress, "Maa'm, could I have some jellllllllllllly?" She looked a little puzzled and then responded, "Did you mean jaaaahm?" in her very Canadian accent. Well, there were laughs all around. Simple stuff, but memorable.

2 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Eliz said...

Our Arkansas accents never go unnoticed, do they. I was just in a job interview yesterday and one of the people I met with spent the first 10 minutes (unbeknownst to me) trying to figure out where my accent was from. I wonder how much of what I said he heard....hmm.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Troy said...

I'm so pleased that Dave was polite and used "maam"!

I wish Adam could read this post. He is such a Nova Scotia fan thanks to Anne of Green Gables.

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home